Thursday, November 15, 2007

TFS 1.5, TFS Orcas, VSTS 2008 Team Foundation Server?

I've been refereeing to the next release of TFS as "TFS 1.5."

"Hey Mac, what's the next release for TFS?"
"That would be TFS 1.5 my good man. Can't wait to get our hands on it as it has some nice Team Build features like continues integration we want to try out."

And like a lot of things, I've been misinforming people in the office. While I've heard people refer to the next release as TFS 1.5, Brian Harry has confirmed for me that there is no official "1.5" release number in the next TFS release. He did admit though that some people have called it 1.5, informally that is.

I've also heard of it called "Orcas" which as it turns out, is somewhat correct. The official name from MS marketing (or whoever makes up these names) is "Visual Studio Team System 2008 Team Foundation Server."

Semantics aside, this release is a minor release that does not have a lot of the bells and whistles that, what I've heard people call Rosario, will have. If I remember right, Rosario will have the really cool things like work item hierarchy.

Not to cut TFS 2008 (yet another term I just made up for it) short though. Among other things, it will provide SharePoint 2007, Continuous Build, server side tools for deleting work item types (we're going to love this), and the obligatory list of bug fixes. Brian has a nice list of things here that you can check out.

No comments: