Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Our own Dog Food Statistics

May 2007 - What a month this has been. We had some issues getting TFS up and running (see my previous post for some of the bigger ones), but finally we have a PROD system that is capable of taking on users. For those of you who are thinking about implementing TFS, make sure you have dedicated resources to work on it. We're fortunate that our company is funded a full time administrator to get this up and running for 200+ users (1 admin --> 200 users). If you're a Sys Admin who, in addition to your day-to-day responsibilities, is supposed to get TFS up and running, good luck!

I'm a bit of a statistics nut so while we currently wait for Brian Harry to release the TFSServerManagerTool (http://blogs.msdn.com/bharry/archive/2007/01/22/tfsservermanager-powertool.aspx) I thought I'd try to pull some simple statistics that we might find valuable and post them. Being our first project was created today, it seems like an apropos time to make this posting. I'm a bit pressed for time so I didn't have the opportunity to put together the myriad of statistics that Brian has. I'll wait for him to release the TFSServerManager PowerTool to get those crazy numbers. That being said, we find this information helpful so here it goes.

Team Projects = 1; This was a pretty easy one to find!

Users = 6; This one was a bit tougher. I started by running the TfsSecurity tool (http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms252504(VS.80).aspx) with the "/imx all:" parameter. Unfortunately this gave us back all the users plus the 50 Sys Admins that also have access to the machine, but would never use TFS with their administration accounts (e.g. MyDomain\M0000001). Consequently we don't want to count them. The good thing is our user accounts all start with \U (U for user they tell me) so I was able to find actual TFS users by running "TfsSecurity /server:tfs.int.mycompany.com /imx n:"[SERVER]\Team Foundation Valid Users" find "MyDomain\U"". This gave us back the number of MyDomain\U users (e.g. MyDomain\U000001) which are the only users we add to TFS projects.

Work items = 16; This was also easy as each new work item creates a new incremented id. There are 15 standard CMMI process template Tasks that get created. After that we created one to change a Change Request state which was number 16.

Files/Folders = 1859/31; I got these values using the following commands. For files I ran "tf dir /server:tfs.int.mycompany.com $/ /recursive" less the value I got for the number of folders, which is next. For folders I ran "tf dir /server:tfs.int.mycompany.com $/ /folders /recursive".

Changesets = 7; Another easy one for now. I got this value by running "tf changeset /server:tfs.int.mycompany.com /latest /noprompt"

That's it for now. If you find additional or better ways to find your own Dog Food statistics before Brian releases TFSServerManagerTool, let us know.

2 comments:

Br.Bill said...

A full-time TFS admin? Sounds like ClearCase+ClearQuest/UCM and TFS have that in common.

I'm catching up on this blog as I'm new to TFS. As a veteran administrator of ClearCase, UCM, and Perforce, I feel comfortable saying that Perforce is by far the easiest of the three to admin, and that a full-time administrator is definitely not required.

Perhaps as I go forward in this blog and see how updates to TFS affect administration, we will see that load decrease?

Thanks for the blog.

Mac Noland said...

Hey Br. Bill. Thanks for taking the time to read through. I've moved onto some other things at the company, but continue to dable in TFS at times.

After using the product for about four years, I would say that administration work has died down. Most all of the work that is done now is piddle things to the Work Item templates and adding users. We have a contractor base that does most of that stuff.

With upgrades and migrations being laborious efforts, no real heavy lifting from a tool support standpoint after you're up and running.

At least that is what we've found.