Friday, May 11, 2007

Report Server Windows Service (MSSQLSERVER) cannot connect to the report server database

May 2007 - We just got our standby server setup and failed over for the first time. I'll send out the steps we took in a forthcoming post as we're still working out some minor details.

We were a bit concerned as after setting up the standby server we were getting the following error messages (below) in Event Viewer. The first error message just happened once (or so we can tell). The second one was recorded every minute in Event Viewer on the standby.

When we failed over the to standby both errors went away and started to appear on the primary. I posted a message to the MSDN forums and Mr. Chen confirmed this was as expected. I'm not sure I followed him on this, but he said the reason was "This is usually used to improve production quality in the future." Again I'm not sure I follow him on why this will help to improve quality, but I'll take his word for it.

Happy failover!

Error Messages:

Report Server Windows Service (MSSQLSERVER) has not been granted access to the catalog content.

Report Server Windows Service (MSSQLSERVER) cannot connect to the report server database.

No comments: